Click here to download a contact sheet of family-friendly pharmacies that are familiar with medications for children with complex medical conditions.
Early Childhood Development Programs in Washington, DC
The Federal Government and local governments provide free services that can help your child achieve her/his developmental goals. Click here if you are concerned about how your child is reaching various developmental milestones, and want information on how you can request a free evaluation and possibly qualify for support at home or at your child's school.
Eliana's Light Constellation Kits
Eliana's Light will develop a tailored Light Constellation Kit for each family whose application for support is approved. This Light Constellation Kit will be developed based on the family's interests and needs; and include complementary care ingredients such as an essential oil, tips on how to mediate, a yoga mat, and a healthy meal. A volunteer will deliver the Light Constellation Kit to the family. Click here to learn more.
Other Organizations You May Want to Contact for Different Kinds of Support
- Claire's Place Foundation: To provide heart felt help to children and young adults diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis, as well as their families, for the purpose of improving their quality of life. They hope to accomplish this by heightening awareness and providing education, skills, financial and emotional support. www.clairesplacefoundation.org
- The Wholehearted Foundation: To provide short-term spiritual, financial, relationship, and program awareness support that makes a long-term impact for “heart families” whose child(ren) receive cardiac care at Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, DC. www.wholeheartedfoundation.org
- Erika Kate Hope Alliance: To help ease the emotional, spiritual and financial burdens borne by parents of children with life-threatening heart disease. www.erikakate.org
- Hope Marietta Foundation: To raise money and awareness for Congenital Heart Defects through community involvement, fundraising events, and service projects directly benefiting local children. www.hopemariettafoundation.com.
- Air Charity Network: To provide access for people in need who are seeking free air transportation to specialized health care facilities or distant destinations due to family, community, or national crisis. www.aircharitynetwork.org
- Children's Cardiomyopathy Foundation: To increase awareness, accelerate research, and advance education on pediatric cardiomyopathy. www.childrenscardiomyopathy.org
- Songs of Love: To provide personalized uplifting songs, free of charge, for children and teens currently facing tough medical, physical or emotional challenges. www.songsoflove.org
- Washington Regional Transplant Community: To respond to every potential organ, tissue and eye donation. www.beadonor.org
- Children's Organ Transplant Association: To provide fundraising assistance and family support to children and young adults who need a life-saving organ transplant. www.cota.org
- Help Hope Live: To support community-based fundraising for people with unmet medical and related expenses due to cell and organ transplants or catastrophic injuries and illnesses. www.helphopelive.org
- Holistic Moms Network: To connect parents who are interested in holistic health and green living. www.holisticmoms.org
- Make a Wish Foundation: To grant the wishes of children with life-threatening illnesses. www.makeawish.org
- Believe in Tomorrow Children's Foundation: To provide exceptional hospital and respite housing services to critically ill children and their families. www.believeintomorrow.org
- Casey Cares Foundation: To provide ongoing and uplifting programming to critically ill children and their families (including siblings!). www.caseycares.org
- Mortgage Bankers Association: To provide mortgage and rental assistance grants to families in need. www.mba.org/who-we-are/the-mba-foundation/apply-for-a-grant
- Hope for Henry Foundation: Reinventing how hospitals care for seriously ill children and their families through innovative programs that entertain, reduce stress and empower children to be active participants in their own care. www.hopeforhenry.org
- Preemies Today: To advocate for the needs of families experiencing a premature birth. www.preemiestoday.org
- The Lollipop Kids Foundation: To combat social stigmas, ease the financial burden placed on families that have children with disabilities, offer emotional support, and provide a brief respite so that every child with a disability has access to a hope and a future. www.lollipopkidsfoundation.org
Meditation CDs You Can Purchase or download
* Still Quiet Place's meditation CD's for children and adults: www.stillquietplace.com
More coming soon!
Research you can read to access evidence
- Click here to download a list of recent research on various complementary care modalities used with children.
- Click here to access research the National Institutes of Health (NIH) have compiled on the scientific evidence behind various complementary health care approaches.
- Click here to view a list of hyperlinked resources The Whole Child Center compiled on Integrative Medicine and many related topics.
- Click here to view a list of hyperlinked resources Least Invasive First compiled on Integrative Medicine and many related topics.
- Click here to access a compiled list of research on Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction from the Palouse Mindfulness Program.
- Click here to view a list of Integrative Medicine programs in operation at hospitals in the U.S.
Books You might find of interest
- Child Decoded: Unlocking Complex Issues in Your Child's Learning, Behavior or Attention. (2017) By Marijke Jones, Robin E. McEvoy PhD, and Kim Gangwish.
- The Holistic Pediatrician, Twentieth Anniversary Revised Edition: A Pediatrician's Comprehensive Guide To Safe and Effective Therapies For the 25 Most Common Ailments Of Infants, Children, and Adolescents. (2016) By Kathi Kemper, M.D., M.P.H.
Information You Can Use
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network's PowerPoint Presentation on "Medical Events & Traumatic Stress in Children & Families"
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network's "Pediatric Medical Traumatic Stress Toolkit for Health Care Providers" (toolkit for parents as well)
- Children's Environmental Health Network's Eco-Healthy Child Care Fact Sheets
- Environmental Working Group's 2013 Guide to Dirty Dozen Endocrine Disruptors
- Environmental Working Group's 2014 Guide to Avoiding GMO Food
- Environmental Working Group's 2014 Guide to Seafood (find healthy options)
- Environmental Working Group's 2016 Guide to Healthy Cleaning (Safety ratings for more than 2,500 products)
- Environmental Working Group's 2016 Guide to Sunscreens
- Environmental Working Group's 2016 Guide to Pesticide in Produce: The Dirty 12 and the Clean 12 (Which Ones to Buy Organic)
- Healthy Child's "Easy Steps" library is a "collection of their tried and true recommendations to make your home (and world) a cleaner, greener, safer place to raise your child. From individual steps to e-books and more, they have all the tools you need to understand the issues and easily take action".
- National Resources Defense Council's "Four Ways to Avoid Toxic Chemicals in Food Packaging" (2015)
- National Resources Defense Council's "The Smart Seafood Buying Guide" (2015)
- "8 Natural Ways to Detox Your Body": Integrative Health Blog by National Integrated Health Associates
- Environmental Working Group's Guide to Children's Cereals (Sugar by the pound)
- Environmental Working Group's Guide to Good Food on a Budget
- "Healthy Eating for Life" by Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
- "Holistic Nutrition: How to Stop Sugar Cravings in 3 Must-Do Steps" by National Integrated Health Associates
- "Nutrition for Kids" by Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
- "Nutrition Rainbow of Cancer-Fighting and Immune-Boosting Foods" by Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
websites, Apps, Videos, and Services You Might Find Useful
- Least Invasive First: Carry and access your important health directives and documents everywhere, digitally.
- Headspace: A website and an app that make meditation simple.
- List of apps: www.mindful.org/free-mindfulness-apps-worthy-of-your-attention
- Mindfulness app for children: www.mindful-app.com
- Watch this YouTube video on Marian McEvilly of Children's National using aromatherapy, the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), and other complementary care techniques to support patients at Children's National Medical Center.
- Watch this YouTube video on Healing Touch by Sue Kagel, RN, BSN, CHTP/I, HNC.
- Watch this YouTube video on how Vanderbilt University's emergency room is diffusing essential oils.
- Learn about the Relaxation Response from Dr. Herbert Benson, Harvard Medical School and Founder of the Benson-Henry Institute for Mind-Body Medicine: www.relaxationresponse.org
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction *Free* Online Training Course: www.palousemindfulness.com
- Music for Healing and Transition Program: www.mhtp.org
- Potomac Massage Training Institute: www.pmti.org
- Yoga and Meditation Teacher Training: www.themindfulnesscenter.org
- Healing Touch Training: www.healingtouchprogram.com
Associations and References
- Academic Consortium for Integrative Medicine and Health
- The American Board of Integrative Medicine
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health of the National Institutes of Health
- Natural Medicine Comprehensive Database
- Consumer Lab