YouTube video on how Vanderbilt University's emergency room is diffusing essential oils.
Healing Touch training program: This website provides an overview of Healing Touch, an energetic therapy modality; and explains how it is used in various medical facilities, how you can get trained (and gain nursing credits), and how you can find a Healing Touch accredited professional near you.
YouTube video on Healing Touch by Sue Kagel, RN, BSN, CHTP/I, HNC.
Natural Mental Health: This new website offers trusted information and holistic supplements and products to help individuals of all ages optimize their mental health and build resilience in mind, body, and heart. The founders of this initiative, Drs. Henry Emmons and Tim Culbert, are integrative health pioneers. www.naturalmentalhealth.com
Mindfulness and Meditation:
Eliana's Light's Mindfulness Tip Sheet for Caregivers of Children With Complex Medical Conditions.
A comprehensive overview of mindfulness and meditation with practical guidance from RelaxLikeABoss called “The Art of Mindfulness”.
Practical tips on how to achieve greater peace of mind: www.getpom.org
Headspace: A website and an app that make meditation simple.
List of mindfulness-related apps: www.mindful.org/free-mindfulness-apps-worthy-of-your-attention
Mindfulness app for children: www.mindful-app.com
Still Quiet Place's meditation CD's for children and adults: www.stillquietplace.com
Zentangle: The Zentangle Method of drawing brings stress relief, focus, awareness, and relaxation to the one using it while it encourages her/his creativity and sense of gratitude.
Mandala coloring books: Many are available on Amazon for adults and children.
Self-Compassion and Self-Care:
“15 Relaxation Techniques” from RelaxLikeABoss.
Self-compassion tools and guided meditations: http://self-compassion.org/category/exercises/#guided-meditations
Sleep Guide for health and well-being: https://www.bestmattress-brand.org/importance-of-sleep/
- an article on how Integrative Medicine is helpful as part of Palliative Care by Dr. David Steinhorn, Medical Director of Palliative Care at Children's National Medical Center, and colleagues. "This article attempts to address ways in which complementary or Integrative Medicine can support the human spirit, contribute to healing, and alleviate suffering."
- a YouTube video on Marian McEvilly of Children's National using aromatherapy, the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), and other complementary care techniques to support patients at Children's National Medical Center.
- information on "The Relaxation Response" from Dr. Herbert Benson, Harvard Medical School and Founder of the Benson-Henry Institute for Mind-Body Medicine: www.relaxationresponse.org
- "Mr. Tumble/Something Special" show for kids with special needs on YouTube.
- Advocacy tools and tips for children and young people with developmental disabilities and their parents (e.g “Making Homework Time Less Stressful”, “Ways To Become More Self-Determined”, etc.): www.peatc.org.
- a guide by Poolonomics that shares practical advice (with humor) on how to select and apply sunscreen for kids (and what all the terms mean).
- DrugWatch’s site. Drug Watch is a consumer advocacy organization that works side-by-side with medical experts to educate the public on drug side effects and medical device complications.
I Get It: Educational applications for children with additional learning needs. They include social stories and photo book templates, including one on going to the hospital.
When Your Child Is Sick (2018) By Dr. Joanna Breyer.
Healing Children. (2017) By Newman, Kurt MD.
Child Decoded: Unlocking Complex Issues in Your Child's Learning, Behavior or Attention. (2017) By Marijke Jones, Robin E. McEvoy PhD, and Kim Gangwish.
The Holistic Pediatrician, Twentieth Anniversary Revised Edition: A Pediatrician's Comprehensive Guide To Safe and Effective Therapies For the 25 Most Common Ailments Of Infants, Children, and Adolescents. (2016) By Kathi Kemper, M.D., M.P.H.
Whole Person Care. (2011) By Hutchinson, Tom.
A Still Quiet Place for Teens: A Mindfulness Workbook to Ease Stress and Difficult Emotions (2016) By Saltzman, Amy.
The Stress Reduction Workbook for Teens: Mindfulness Skills to Help You Deal With Stress. (2017) By Biegal, Gina.
The Anxiety Workbook for Teens. (2008) By Schab, Lisa.
Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Daily Life (2005) by Kabat-Zinn.
Read these children's books if you feel they may be helpful for your child/ren: It's Ok To Be Different, Ian's Walk, My Friend Isabelle, El Deafo, Maxi's Super Ears, Uniquely Me, Uniquely Brave, The Black Book of Colors, and Be The Boss of Your Pain.
Read through the list of books that Duke Integrative Medicine compiled, which pertain to mindfulness, yoga, and meditation, among other topics.
Bookshare: An online library that makes reading accessible for people who cannot read standard print.