Constellation of Care
Eliana's Light is grateful to the dozens of local medical facilities, integrative care service providers, Funders, and volunteers that are collaborating with us. The following are a few of the bright stars that comprise the Constellation of Care within our systems-based approach.
Eliana's Light makes financial and in-kind contributions to support the development of an integrative care services division at Children's National while raising awareness and understanding on the importance of integrative care services. For example, Eliana's Light serves on the Community Advisory Committee for the Clinical & Translational Science Institute -- a research partnership between Children's National Medical Center and The George Washington University; the Planning Committee for the 2017 Race for Every Child; and the Parent Advisory Board for Palliative Care. We also manage an Integrative Care Services Parent Advisory Committee -- collaborating with staff, parents, and the hospital's administration -- to develop and support demand-driven pilot programs. Additionally, Eliana's Light gave to the hospital in 2017: a $2,750 donation to integrative care services via our team in the Race for Every Child; an $8,301 donation to integrative care services via the Race;150 Valentine's Day cards for kids from kids and 200 cookies for caregivers from caregivers; 200 sachets of organic lavender for mothers on Mother's Day; 300 stress balls for fathers on Father's Day (and subsequent activities); 100 "calm down" jars; 100 "focus on your breath" feather sticks; 33 decorated name tags for children's hospital rooms that contain motivational messages; and 30 New Year's cards with messages of hope for the patients. We welcome and have received referrals from hospital staff members of families the staff think may be interested in applying for support from Eliana's Light. The hospital's Executive Leadership is committed to integrative care and is working in a multi-disciplinary and results-driven way to organize a structure that coordinates, prioritizes, tracks, and funds integrative care services.
Eliana's Light is entering a collaboration with Mary's Center, a community health center that provides integrated health, education, and social support services to 40,000 individuals "whose needs often go unmet by the public and private systems" throughout the Washington, DC area. "Mary's Center uses a holistic, multi-pronged approach to help each participant access individualized services that set them on the path toward good health, stable families, and economic independence." Eliana's Light has made three deliveries to Mary's Center of in-kind donations of stress-relief toys and tools for families that Mary's Center serves (e.g., CDs on mindfulness and meditation for children and teens, arts and crafts kits designed to support physical and occupational therapy, and related items). We are looking forward to working with Mary's Center's staff and families to expand Mary's Center's integrative care programming while helping the families Mary's Center serves when these families are at home.
Eliana's Light is supporting The Children's Inn at NIH in its efforts to respond to family support needs and "reduce the burden of illness through therapeutic, educational, and recreational programming". The Children's Inn at NIH is a "place like home" for children and families participating in groundbreaking research at the National Institutes of Health. To start our collaboration, Eliana's Light donated 40 stress balls to the fathers who were staying at The Children's Inn with their children on Father's Day. Stress balls are a visual representation of the importance of self-care and also serve as a useful relaxation tool. Eliana's Light also regularly provides in-kind donations to children and their caregivers staying at the Inn (e.g., relaxation-type toys and books). In the future, we're planning to support programming within The Children's Inn that relates to the integrative care services.
Eliana's Light is grateful for the opportunity to collaborate with The HSC Health Care System, which combines the resources of a health plan, pediatric hospital, home health agency and nonprofit foundation to serve and empower families with complex health care needs. We are currently co-referring families to each other. We look forward to building on proven practices, implementing innovative initiatives, and raising greater awareness on the needs of and ways to support families with children who have complex medical conditions. Stay tuned for greater detail in early 2018.
Eliana's Light is excited to collaborate with the Total Family Care Coalition to increase the access DC families across the city have to integrative care services that can support them. Total Family Care Coalition finds solutions to help families, youth and individuals with their peer support workers, teachers, and staff. Click here to learn about their support groups, after school programs, Father Initiative workshops, art program, teen outreach programs, and senior programs. Their founder and executive director, Ms. Gail Avent, is a Ward 7 Women of Excellence awardee and is an advisor to the Early Childhood Innovation Network (ECIN). Eliana's Light and Total Family Care Coalition refer families to each other and plan to co-organize learning events on topics relevant to the families we serve.
Thank you to everyone who has made a financial or in-kind donation, which supports our programming and advocacy work. With your help, we can give Eliana's Light Constellation Kits (i.e., gift bags) to families and offer learning events to children and their caregivers. We are working on a volunteer basis to help local families access integrative care services and supports that help reduce their stress, pain, fear, trauma, anxiety and/or depression while we advocate for an integrative approach to medical care. Please consider donating or participating in our Re-Gift 2017 campaign today.
- Girl Scout Troop 54: We are very thankful to the Girl Scouts of Troop 54 for the tremendous support they've given Eliana's Light. This Girls Scout Troop has organized a bake sale; made 100 "calm down jars", 100 "focus-on-your-breath" feather sticks, 22 New Year's encouragement cards for children, 49 Valentine's Day cards for children, 33 decorated name tags for children's hospital rooms, and a video on how yoga can help children. They also organized three Paint Night fundraisers and a social media campaign to ask for in-kind donations through Eliana's Light's Amazon Wish List. With the in-kind donations we've received from these efforts to date, we've been able to give gifts to children staying at The Children's Inn at NIH. Thank you so much!
- Chevy Chase Bethesda Community Children's Center: We are so thankful to the PK-4 Preschool class of Ms. Lilymay and Ms. Mila for organizing their students' efforts to help other children who were hospitalized on Valentine's Day, 2017. The class made cards of hope, love, and encouragement for other children their age. They also committed to working with us on this project next year! Thank you!
- Om Shanti Rhi: Thank you, Rhiannon Landesberg and Om Shanti Rhi, for giving us your time and for organizing various initiatives for Eliana's Light. "Ms. Rhiannon" has organized and led 2 yoga fundraisers and also Valentine's Day card making with children from her yoga class at the River School. She also connected us to Until Jewelry Designs, which designed a special Mala necklace and bracelet to raise money for Eliana's Light. Thank you, Rhiannon, for being an amazing yoga and mindfulness instructor to our girls and to hundreds of children throughout the Washington, DC area. Rhiannon is also engaged in a research study at Children's National Medical Center on the impact of yoga.
- LilOmm: We are tremendously grateful to Pleasance Silicki, founder of #LilOmm, for her generous guidance, time, and efforts in support of Eliana's Light. It was at Pleasance's LilOmm studio where I witnessed the power of yoga to support physical and occupational therapy. Since Eliana's Light started, Pleasance has been an inspirational mentor, creative catalyst, and thoughtful connector. Visit her website to check out her wonderful stress-relief and empowerment sessions for women in the Washington, DC area!
- Individuals and companies on Eliana's Light's team in the 2017 Race for Every Child: We remain so thankful to the dozens of individuals and companies that contributed to our team in this year's Race. Their donations and organizing efforts led to an $8,301 donation to integrative care services at Children's National Medical Center. We would like to especially recognize the individual participants and local companies who contributed such as Washington Fine Properties, Om Shanti Rhi, and PlayWellDC.
- Individuals, organizations and companies that participated in our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd annual Valentine's Day Cards for Kids & Cookies for Caregivers initiative: Thanks to the involvement of more than 1,100 volunteers from 6 states, we were able to give home-made cards and cookies to each in-patient at Children's National Medical Center, Inova Children's Hospital, John's Hopkins Children's Center, HSC's Pediatric Center, the Kennedy Krieger Institute, and the Children's Inn at NIH in 2018.
Our Collaborators Connect Families to These Contributions
Contact sheets of dozens of local complementary care providers, "Family-Friendly Pharmacies", and local government support services.
A compilation of other organizations that may be of interest and help to families with children who have a complex medical condition.
A compilation of research related to complementary care therapies for children.
Postings of relevant retreats, workshops, classes, initiatives, and festivals that we thought may be of interest to you.